Central London is gearing up to play host to a spectacular Closer to Israel at 65 Parade on Sunday 2nd June 2013. Thousands of participants representing the diversity of British society will be joined by spectators and supporters in Central London for a parade followed by a grand finale in Trafalgar Square.
The event will highlight the special nature of the bilateral relationship between the UK and Israel.
The celebratory gathering in Trafalgar Square will feature guest speakers including Chief Rabbi Lord Sacks and Israel’s Ambassador to the UK HE Daniel Taub. They will be joined by a senior member of the Cabinet and other leaders from the political and faith arenas.
There will also be a special live performance by Israeli pop sensation and Eurovision finalist Harel Skaat. The crowd will be kept entertained by a number of activities including arts and crafts while refreshments will include falafel and other traditional Israeli and Jewish food.
President of Israel Shimon Peres welcomed the event, saying:
We have a special feeling about Great Britain. Let us never forget that Zionism was born in Great Britain. The State of Israel was the result of the Balfour declaration. It was a great opening and a great continuation. All those years, 65 years already, you stood on our side and we watched with admiration your dedication to the development of the state of Israel. Together we shall continue to work together for the future and the values and the friendship of Israel with all other nations and achieve peace.
Chief Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks said:
On 2nd June, 2013, at the Closer to Israel parade through the streets of London, we will come together as a community to mark Israel’s 65th Yom Ha’atzmaut, her day of independence. I encourage as many of you as possible to join us and celebrate how a small nation has managed to build a land, a state, a society, and a culture that has achieved so much and made such a significant contribution to the world.
Israeli Ambassador to the UK Daniel Taub said:
I invite you to join me in stepping forward for Israel in the ‘Closer to Israel’ Parade, in raising our heads and flags high, and in expressing our appreciation to the people of Israel and its friends here in the UK for 65 years of truly remarkable achievement.
Closer to Israel representative (and chair of the Jewish Leadership Council) Mick Davis said:
This event will be a unique opportunity to celebrate the achievements of Israel on its 65th birthday. All parts of the Jewish community will unite with non-Jewish friends of Israel to celebrate Israel’s many milestones.
Notes to Editors
- The Parade will start at 12pm, the Trafalgar Square event starts at 2pm
- The Parade and Grand Finale is sponsored by the Jewish Leadership Council, the UJIA, The Board of Deputies; supported by the Embassy of Israel in London, the Zionist Federation, Jewish News & Media Group, WIZO UK, JLGB. Other organisations part of Closer to Israel include Mitzvah Day, Reform Judaism, Stand With Us UK, UJS and We Believe in Israel. Security and logistical support is provided by the Community Security Trust.
- Quotes – If you would like a quote from any of the organisers or any further information firstname.lastname@example.org or 07960469509
- Interview requests – If you wish to interview the guest speakers or one of the official spokespeople email@example.com or 07960469509
- For more information please visit www.closertoisrael.org.uk