Following the apology issued by Martin Glenn, Chief Executive of the FA, JLC CEO Simon Johnson issued this statement:
"I spoke to Martin Glenn today. I explained why his comments yesterday had caused such serious offence. Martin apologised, explained the context for his comments and stated that he did not intend to cause offence, which I accepted. We have agreed to meet soon along with the CST. I have thanked the FA for their apology and I am glad that this has been dealt with swiftly."
On the 31 January, PaJeS held its third annual Jewish Schools Awards at JW3.
With over 180 people in attendance, the night was an opportunity to celebrate the excellence in teaching and the contributions of non-teaching staff. PaJeS received a record amount of 450 nominations this year, which were then narrowed down and judged by an expert panel.
The panel which was made up by Professor John West-Burnham, Ms Kate Goldberg, Dr Michael Markiewicz, Sir Harry Solomon and Mrs Francine Wolfisz really struggled to decide which of the worthy finalists should be crowned the winners.
Lead are delighted to be hosting their first ever fundraising event; an evening with three of the incredibly talented and award winning founders of Fulwell 73, the production company behind smash hit shows such as Carpool Karaoke, The Class of '92, I Am Bolt and The Late Late show (among many more) on Wednesday 14th March 2018. Joining us on the evening will be lifelong friends Leo Pearlman, Ben Turner and Gabe Turner along with Samantha Simmonds, an award winning broadcaster and influential blogger who will interview them on an array of topics, including their successes and how they've maintained their Jewish values throughout!
Included in the price (£30) will be a selection of drinks and canapés and there will also be an additional raffle on the night with a money can't buy prize on offer.
To book your place click here or email [email protected]
When I took over as Chief Executive of the Jewish Leadership Council (JLC) from my predecessor, Jeremy Newmark, in 2013, the organisation began a new chapter. However, over the last week, the JLC has come under significant scrutiny concerning Jeremy’s alleged conduct as chief executive, the lead up to his exit, and the way in which it was managed.
Today, it is an undisputed fact that the JLC is a very different organisation, operationally and otherwise, to the one that I took control of in 2013. It not only has a new chief executive, but also a new chairman, Jonathan Goldstein – a former lawyer like myself – seven new trustees, and a new strategic direction.
Following a media enquiry about the conduct of the JLC’s former CEO, Jeremy Newmark, who left the JLC in September 2013, the JLC has issued the following statements to the Jewish Chronicle.
Simon Johnson, the Chief Executive Officer of the Jewish Leadership Council said:
“I was made aware of this matter as soon as I was appointed as Chief Executive Officer. I am satisfied that the then Chairman acted at all times with the knowledge and full support of the Trustees.
“Immediately upon my appointment, working closely with our auditors and our Trustees, I put in place additional measures to enhance and improve the JLC’s financial control procedures. We improved management accounting, tightened spending authority levels and put in additional approvals relating to payments from the bank. We have established best practice conflict of interest procedures and reporting of related party transactions. These are all documented in detail in our Annual Statutory Accounts.”
Former Chairman of the Jewish Leadership Council, Sir Mick Davis who was the Chairman at the time of the alleged incidents said:
“At all times I acted with the full knowledge and support of the Trustees. As soon as the Board of Trustees became aware of the issues it acted immediately and in accordance with the advice it received. Individual Trustees ensured that the JLC’s accounts were made good and whole. Jeremy resigned due to ill health and the Trustees agreed, with due regard to his welfare and that of his family, that no further action was warranted.”
To find out more please visit to the Chelsea FC website by clicking here.
Amnesty International UK have cancelled an event organised by the Jewish Leadership Council. In their email, Amnesty International UK make several inaccurate and misleading statements regarding the JLC. The email was sent after the Jewish Sabbath came in at 4:09pm, which meant that the JLC could only respond to the email after the Sabbath had finished.
Below is a copy of the email from Amnesty that was received by the JLC.
Mayor of London takes to the stage in Trafalgar Square alongside Chief Rabbi Ephraim Mirvis to celebrate with 5,000 revellers.
(Via Jewish News)
View photos from the night here (Credit: Marc Morris)
Sadiq Khan took part in one of the largest ever selfies and professed his love for the Maccabeats as he celebrated Chanukah with up to 5,000 revellers in Trafalgar Square.
The London mayor took to the stage alongside Chief Rabbi Ephraim Mirvis and other community leaders at his first Chanukah in the Square since entering City Hall.
Organised by the Jewish Leadership Council, London Jewish Forum and Chabad and fuelled by around 4,000 free doughnuts, party-goers danced to the sounds of the Akiva School choir and the Maccabeats – with Khan delighting the crowd by describing himself as a “groupie”.
Following antisemitic chants at a protest outside of the US Embassy on Friday, the Board of Deputies of British Jews, CST and Jewish Leadership Council have released this joint statement.
"The ‘Khybar, Khybar’ chant heard and documented at Friday’s protest outside the US Embassy in London can only be interpreted as a call to incite violence against Jewish people. It is outrageous that these protesters thought that such a chant would be acceptable on the streets of London in 2017. That this comes in the context of a firebombing of a synagogue in Sweden and an attack on a kosher restaurant in Amsterdam only increases our concern. These acts are not criticisms of a decision by the US government but demonstrations of antisemitism."
"We welcome the condemnation by the protest organisers of this notorious Jihadi chant – which was clearly audible at the height of the demonstration - but urge them to take action to ensure that such acts do not go unchallenged at their events in the future. We further call on all of those who addressed the rally to unequivocally condemn the chants and undertake not to support or organise any event at which such activity is tolerated in the future."